Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Song to Share with You All

At James’ recommendation (http://www.james-chau.com/blog/?p=38#more-38), the other day, I squeezed a music break in my busy schedule by revisiting some of Stevie Wonder’s songs. All of a sudden, I found myself in love with Lately, a song with a tinge of sadness, but well worth listening to. It tells a heart-wrenching story about love and betrayal: Stevie loves the girl with all his heart, only to find his effort has gone down the drain, with his sweetheart finding her love elsewhere. Anyone would be heartbroken in his place. Musically speaking, the lyrics are very well written and the tune is very beautiful. Stevie Wonder is cut out to sing. He sings not with his voice, but with his heart. He’s a man of strong emotions, which roll out through his music. It’s not difficult for anyone who listens to Lately to feel Sevres’s passionate love, aching heart and forgiveness. If you are out of love or feel blue, this song is definitely to strike a chord with you.

“Lately I have had this strangest feeling,
with no vivid reasons here to find.
Yet the thought of losing's been hanging, round my mind...
Far more frequently you're wearing perfume,
with you say, 'No special place to go'

But when I ask will you be coming back soon,
you don't know, never know.
Well, I'm a man of many wishes,

I hope my premonition misses, but what I really feel,
my eyes won't let me hide, cause they always start to cry.
cause it's time could mean goodbye.

Lately I've been staring in the mirror, very slowly picking me apart.
Tryin' to tell myself I have no reason, with your heart.
Just the other night while you were sleeping,
I vaguely heard you whisper someone's name.
But when I ask you of the thoughts you're keeping,
you just say, nothing's changed.”

Back to the story: I don’t see any reason why the girl doesn’t cherish the love she’s blessed with. Stevie has a hard time coming to terms with the fact that love is saying good-by to him, wishfully thinking that his premonition misses. If I were Stevie, I would not shed a single drop of tear for the girl, because she doesn’t deserve it. On the other hand, losing her may not be a bad thing, especially before she hurts you deeper. Since the two of you are not destined for each other, what’s the use of being together nonetheless?

Well, this is a bit of my understanding of the song Lately. Download it and enjoy!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday i visited james'website
i found you left your comments after james'evey blog.I am so happy to find there are so many people liking james.